[04.) BLOG POST(S): PARAMETRIC FURNITURE/STRUCTURE SCALE MODEL] Part 1

 Rocking Chair


The title for this object is Fusion Rocking Chair. Based on the name you can assume that this rocking chair is a fusion of two different styles. My main inspiration for this piece is Filipino-style rocking chairs, specifically one that my grandfather owned. Then I chose to combine the technique of weaving into a Glasgow style chair similar to the ones designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

Here are some sample images to show the basic concept I chose to work with:

My intention for this project was just to make the most obscure piece of furniture I could think of and add my own spin to it through my knowledge of art movements and personal experiences. I felt like overall the concept is pretty unique as it is meant to be a furniture piece that can also pass off as an art piece. The long back mixed with the weaving style from the Filipino rocking chairs makes a somehow harmonious concept.

This piece is meant for really anyone who has an interest in avant-garde pieces but I was mainly focusing more on an older demographic than a younger one.

After a lot of failures and restarting of my project I eventually made a handful of changes to how I went about the main design and how to put it all together piece by piece. Here are a few of my attempts at making the actual design on grasshopper and rhino.


Here is my grasshopper file, I chose to work on it piece by piece in order to actually be able to understand how it fits well together. But thankfully I was able to make it work out in the end, with a few small details I want to improve on which I couldn't figure out completely.





Here are my actual renders of the finished piece








Comments

  1. This is really cool! I would love one of these in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the subtle rocking chair legs, it's not a huge curve which is nice for balancing such a tall chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great. It looks elegant and formal - but still casual like a rocking chair should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the inspiration for this chair, it is a really successful fusion! It is a very elegant rocking chair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful renders! Well done! I definitely see your inspiration from the photos coming through in the finished design, very cool to see them come together. How will you be making your scale model? looks like a relatively complex build, best of luck can't wait to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like a really nice chair. I'd just be worried about tipping over with such a high back and short back legs, which may be something to test out with a full scale version. Otherwise I could definitely see this on someone's porch in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley, I think there are many great things about your work. One of the things I like is the armrest shape. You could have just made a basic rectangular shape but instead you created a curved custom form. I also like how in your blog post you explained the two sources that inspired your design.

    Another great thing about your work is the tidiness and legibility of your definition. As I was looking through it, I noticed some opportunities to simplify the definition and cut down on redundant objects. For example, there are two nearly identical sections for part of the armrests, one is called "arm left" and one called "arm right" (each with their own vertical thickness slider). Perhaps a simpler way to do the same thing would be to use the "Move to Point" object to make a copy of "arm left" and place it where the right arm should go. This "Move to Point" object will allow you to make two identical forms without having to use as many objects. The reason I am suggesting this is because I noticed that it could be useful for simplifying multiple parts of your definition ("front leg", "rocking chair part", and "back rest"). I had noticed the same thing in my bench definition so I replaced some sections with the "Move to Point" object (which ended up being more practical for me). One benefit to doing this is that it will be easier for you to symmetrically adjust the parameters of your design. It will even make it easier for you to do things like animate your chair for a GIF. It will be easier because you will cut down on the amount of sliders you're using while guaranteeing symmetry. I hope I properly explained what I'm trying to say. And your work is great as is--my suggestions would probably just help with adjusting the parameters of the chair.

    By the way, I think it was great that you invested a bit of extra work into your renders by placing your chair in a room. This helped contextualize your piece. I'm excited to see your scale model!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo!!! This looks REALLY GOOD!! Your nodes are really clean with a really nice result, the room is a great touch, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have reproduced the style and details of this chair very well. I enjoy it very much, especially the gap between the cushion and the backrest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cool design!! I love your clean and mature design. The layout for your chair is really beautiful. Appreciate your render skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would really love one in my house :) This chair reminds me of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This design is luxurious and has a traditional feel. Personally, I think this chair will be made of rattan. In addition, if the length of the backrest is adjusted, it will be a convenient and useful chair for various people from children to adults.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy what you have going here, I think that it looks really well thought out. My only concern would be that when it comes to a rocking chair, I feel like you would want a bit of a angle on the back rest so its easier to rock. Beyond that I think that the design is elegant and looks very well put together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Papercraft Final

Reversed Engineered Object: Progress II